Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Summer People


Summertime and the livin is easy or so we thought. Another new novelist, Brian Groh, (who has previously written for MTV and National Geographic Traveler) has just come out with his first novel entitled Summer People I'm sure this is just the beginning for this writer.

I must admit I'm an aficionado of great mystery books. I love the challenge of trying to determine who committed the crime before the author reveals all. This book is NOT a mystery. However, one cannot state that there were no crimes committed.

Mr. Groh does a very interesting thing in this book. At the head of each chapter is a brief synopsis of what is to come. It was a bit disconcerting so I elected not to read the synopses anymore.

The story takes place in a small summer colony on the coast of Maine. The family of an elderly lady with some infirmities has hired a young man to care for her for the summer. The story is told from his perspective. Some examples of elitism are evident as the story unfolds.

Other characters include a privileged son, an unconventional minister, a family in denial, and an indiscriminate young lady among other less prominent characters.

It all seems a bit fluffy on the surface but in actuality, this story has quite a bit to do with the young man's perspective of life. We are able to observe how his relationship with his care receiver blossoms, how his naiveté is abused and ultimately who steps to the forefront in his behalf and saves him.

I would be interested in seeing what happens to Nathan in the future. I don't know if the author is planning a sequel or is content to leave it as stand-alone but whatever, I look forward to reading his books again.

Ladybookbug!

No comments: