Saturday, June 9, 2007

The Road


Ordinarily I would not pick up this book to read. Why? Because it is futuristic, bordering on science fiction--not a genre that I generally enjoy. BUT--this was a very interesting book. I might add that it's also a great story to read aloud.

What caused me to read it? Actually the author was interviewed on a popular talk show. The author's demeanor, coupled with bits and pieces of the story revealed AND the fact that it was awarded the 2007 Pulitzer made me want to know more.

The author takes us on a journey. Life as we know it today was in the past. In the current day of the book, the land is a vast entity of ash, decayed bodies, rusted metal, and few live people. It is the journey of a man and a boy.

One of the interesting things about this book was the fact that the author made each day unique (which of course it is, isn't it?). One might think what could a writer possibly say that would motivate a reader to continue "walking" along side the man and the boy as one day unfolds into another in a world of hopelessness. Yet, he does. I found myself wanting the pair to experience the best that this world could offer and relishing the intimate moments of inexpressible love. Although I could foresee what might happen at the end, it did not diminish the journey.

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.

Ladybookbug!

No comments: