Monday, April 15, 2013

Tapestry of Fortunes by Elizabeth Berg

What an awesome delight!  Of course, I've never read a book by Elizabeth Berg that I didn't like and this one is a treasure. 

Four women come together to share a house.  Each person comes with their own problems and issues.  Each has proved her stamina in spite of them.  Cecilia, a motivational speaker decides to sell her home after her neighbor dies.  Lise, a physician owns the home and is having difficulty dealing with her daughter.  Joni is a chef and prepares scrumptous meals for all of them.  Renie has a deep secret that has been clawing at her for many years.

They decide to take a road trip because Cecilia receives a postcard from an old flame.  Each woman, in turn, has a good reason to accompany her on the trip.  They visit a piemaker, the home of a waitress and other interesting places.

This book is filled with pearls of wisdom.  While visiting Wanda (the waitress) in her home, Wanda says "I'll tell you, though.  I do think all people carry one burden, and that's fear. It's a problem what fear makes people do, and also what it keeps them from doing.......and then one day you just go ahead and do it anyway and there you are: blue skies." p. 175

After reading this book, I'm ready to take that road trip.  Don't miss reading it--you'll be missing a wonderful read.

Ladybookbug!

No comments: