Monday, June 9, 2014

The Garden of Happy Endings by Barbara O'Neal

Published in 2013, I 'discovered' this gem on the bookshelf.  I have read a previous entry by this author entitled How to Bake a Perfect Life.  She's also written several other titles which I plan to read shortly.

If I were forced to put a genre label to this title, I would have to say it's drama.   Elsa is a minister in the Unity church.  She is pastoring a congregation of about 250 parishioners in Seattle, Washington.  A terrible tragedy occurs to one of her flock.  Elsa was already in a difficult space spiritually and the tragedy pushes her over the edge.  Her congregation strongly encourages her to take a sabbatical.

Elsa returns to her childhood home in Pueblo, Colorado where she is enveloped by an old friend/flame who is now the priest of a local parish.  Elsa's sister has a tragedy of her own and comes to live with Elsa. 

This is a story about one woman's quest to deal with her spiritual questions, review her calling and take a bold step toward recovering her future.

Although it poses some interesting questions about faith, this story is uplifting as well.

Ladybookbug!

No comments: