For Love of Country by Howard Schultz and Rajiv Chandrasekaran
I picked up this title in Starbucks. Of course I did. The co-author is none other than the CEO of Starbucks, Howard Schultz.
The back cover has a brief review by Robert M. Gates, former secretary of defense. He mentions that "You must be made of stone to read this and not shed tears". I would add that reading this book may make you stronger and certainly more proud of all of the men and women who risk everything to defend our country.
These are stories of uncommon valor, determination and grit that can be measured only by the fortitude and sacrifices that have been made by countless veterans on the battlefield. As I read it, I found myself thinking of the veterans in the scope of my life. I thought about the veterans in Pinelawn and Calverton and Arlington. I thought about an old boyfriend who was on the "bag" detail during the Vietnam War. I thought about the wounded warriors. I thought about visiting my Dad in a veteran's home. I thought about the need to save a uniform that one has long ago grown out of by placing it in tissue paper in an old trunk.
It is my hope that members of our younger generation will read books of this nature so that they may know the cost of freedom and the hope that prevails in spite of the darkness that seeks to invade our nation.
Read on!
Ladybookbug!
No comments:
Post a Comment